Some of you more observant readers may have noticed that we rarely publish a post wrapping up the previous week by the time the new week is less than half over. I would love to say that this is due to our lack of internet access, which is about 68% of the problem (50% of this 68%, or 34% of the total problem, due to internet access which falls on an inopportune day), but the sad 32% truth is that, despite being 100% good people (well, 90% for me; let's be at least a little self-deprecating here) we are not by any means more than about 53.5% punctual people. Arguments for not looking at the teeth of the Gift Blog aside, we will endeavor to publish our gripping accounts of the week's happenings before they pass outside the realm of news and enter the realm of pure legend.
So, without further ado, here you go. Try not to be too upset by the format.
The first bit of this week was once again centered around our new (and progressively less jaundiced) bundle of joy. Our three-quarters-hearted use of the phototherapy lights did its job and our little Ike now has a bilirubin level of less than 12, which means that he is (as far as our pediatrician is concerned, anyway) out of any danger. We were a bit stressed about his umbilical cord, because it seemed to have detached prematurely, leaving a somewhat disturbing yellowish gunk behind. A phone call to our substitute pediatrician reassured us that everything was fine (side note - isn't that really why we pay these doctors for the first few months anyway?), and that we could even do a tub bath if we wanted. Consequently, our son had his first shower with Mommy this week. His reaction was apprehensive but accepting. Alison continues her work as Provider of Nourishment and Loser of Sleep, and does a wonderful job at both. I marvel at her ability to provide for our son while remaining cheerful despite physical exhaustion.
I was finally able to start my new job at Avalon Care Center in Bountiful. I started orienting on Tuesday, then worked full 12-hour shifts on Thursday and Friday. The shifts went by much faster than I had expected they might--too fast, as it turns out, because I still cannot imagine how I can possibly get everything done in 12 hours that my job requires. As anyone who works in the health professions may expect, the most time-consuming part of the job is paperwork; because I work on the Medicare hall, I must complete a Medicare assessment (with a narrative note) for each patient whose care is paid for by the government. I realize that they need to know that their expenses are justified, but it is frustrating that so much of nursing is taken up by measures designed to save money or prevent lawsuits. Insert long rant about the state of America's healthcare system management here. Aside from that, the work is rewarding and I enjoy it. I see some very interesting (read: gross) things and meet lots of great people. Service really is as fulfilling as it purports to be.
We were finally able to see the new Joseph Smith movie in Salt Lake City this last Saturday, as part of a Family Fun-Fest that saw the Johnsen Patriarch and Matriarch, ourselves with child in tow, and Jen & John with their miniature Venus narrowly avoid a drive to Park City. A more accurate description of the day's events will be rendered thusly: we had plans (with grandparents Johnsen) to go to Park City and try out the Amazing Slide Or Zip Line, but a providentially placed phone call informed us that they were closed. So, desperate to find a family outing we could enjoy, we decided to travel to Salt Lake City and see the Art Competition exhibit at the Church Museum of History and Art, as well as catch a viewing of Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration if possible. We climbed into the Odyssey and headed to the museum, which contained many interesting artifacts from Church history. The Art Competition exhibit was well worth viewing. We were told that we would not likely find seats in the Legacy Theater at the time of our choosing, but the last-minute arrival of a family group with extra seats led to our viewing the film on time. It was very well done, moving and spiritually inspiring but without the formaggio which has plagued former church films. After our cultural experiences on or near Temple Square, we met Jen, John, Lauren, and Nancy (Roberts) for a wonderful lunch at Pinon.
Once again I submit for your consideration an apology for both the belated nature of this blog and its distracting formatting changes. As John F. Kennedy purportedly once said, "Forgive your [bloggers], but never forget [to both read their updates and publish insightful and caring comments]."
6.26.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So, I actually read this a week ago, but the only commentary I could think of was, "They are HILARIOUS!" So, having ruminated on that topic for a week, and still finding it to be true, I will now leave my comment that you two are HILARIOUS!
--Lia
Post a Comment