Our darling son's development rushes on without pause, its more endearing moments captured successfully and promptly by camcorder if not by blogger. We may at some future date have the capability once again of uploading video to our computer and then to this blog, but for now his adoring public must wait to view for itself his finer points. He is crawling vigorously (and mischievously) at every opportunity, including during diaper changes. He babbles much, feeds himself with little fingers, and can drink (but prefers showering) from a sippy cup all by himself. He can take a spoon from your hand, place it in his mouth with relative success, and hand it back to you for a refill. He is beginning to use rudimentary sign language to ask for more. He now has four well-sprouted teeth with more on the way.
In late March Alison took a quick trip to Cedar City to surprise Melissa Singleton with a visit. Their reunion was, as you can imagine, a joyful one, and they had a great time. However, while Alison and Janci Patterson (Alison's driving buddy who eagerly ditched class for a road trip of bonding and updates) attended a show, Melissa was allowed to babysit our son, and he returned to us with a new tattoo. You may imagine our mixed emotion; on the one hand, we were upset that she hadn't waited until he could make that decision for himself. On the other hand, that little green alien made him look so tough! Anyway, the tattoo soon washed off and with it dissolved our enmity. It turns out Alison knew all along it was a temporary tattoo! Ha ha! I guess the joke was on me.
I spent the majority of last month engaged in my preceptorship for nursing school, which meant working full-time for free at the end of the school semester. I had no intention initially of seeking employment at South Davis Community Hospital where I did my student nursing, but I discovered a love for respiratory patients, ventilators, and other things people generally try not to think too much about. I applied there to work at the end of last month after a period of indecision about my future, and I started my orientation this week (not a particularly arduous process after having virtually been employed there for 135 hours). I am enjoying working there so far, and I feel like this is a company that I can be proud to stand behind. It seems very well-organized and well managed. I was originally supposed to start last week, but fate intervened in the form of a sports injury. I had joined a recreational soccer league in Clearfield at the invitation of my sister-in-law, and was trying very hard to be safe - stretching, wearing a brace, warming up well - but after about 20 minutes of the first game I came down from jumping for a ball and my knee popped, and I couldn't walk anymore. Four orthopedic appointments and a very expensive diagnostic test later, I learned that my ACL (which had probably already been compromised but not challenged enough to snap) was gone, with some collateral damage to the meniscus.
In better news, I am finally done with school for the time being. The Lord very strongly hinted that now was not the time to begin my BSN work, so I am taking a year off while we try to recover and get things in order. It is great to be in school, and I love furthering my education, but it is nice to be facing a summer off after having enrolled in every possible semester of school (with the exception of the semester after Caleb passed away) since the fall of 2000. I feel that I will not likely receive a BSN from Weber State University, but I will get one somewhere on my way to getting my NP. Still up in the air.
I surprised Alison on her birthday by skipping my last class (which turned out, conveniently enough, to have been cancelled anyway) and going to my parents' house to make dinner. I made homemade spinach ravioli with butter-herb sauce and a few of Alison's favorite side dishes. We spent a nice evening together while grandma and grandpa babysat for us. I mention how great I was with this surprise, because most of my gifts are fairly utilitarian and unimpressive, so the gourmet meals are supposed to make up for it. [A- In addition to the wonderful meal, I was pleasantly surprised that Jordan had bought me a kitchen crockery for putting cooking utensils in. While he may rightly classify this as utilitarian, it was far from unimpressive. For it not only represented a tidy storage unit, but a willingness to give up his preferred storage method for my own which, in my eyes, is nothing less than chivalric.]
[A] One weekend in April, we went to lunch at Kyoto with Michael and Shannon, where we both tried sushi for the first time. I'm sure Michael probably picked the least disturbing varieties for our inaugural experience and I am truly grateful. Honestly, it really wasn't an unpleasant experience aside from the thought process of "am I really going to eat what is very obviously Octopus? really?" The meal was delicious; I had teriyaki chicken (which Michael recommended as the least disturbing, most authentic option) and Jordan tried the teriyaki salmon. Overall, a great new experience which I'm sure we will repeat sometime in the future.
Overall, our spring has been a nice one. It was a bit nerve-wracking to have Jordan off work for so long, but it was also an absolute joy to spend so much time together. We are currently adjusting to Jordan's new schedule of working evenings. Isaac has been a little confused by the absence of his father at bedtime, but has enjoyed the extra daddy play time in the morning. We had a pot luck with some of our neighbors earlier this week and are realizing just how deep our roots have grown. The future is so unpredictable, but from today's vantage point, South Weber is a place we could easily and eagerly call home.

8 comments:
You still exist! Yay!
Jordan--I really hope your leg recovers quickly. That really sucks.
The injury of the leg is upsetting. I still remember the first hospital trip, surgery, and hours in the perpetual motion machine. Isaac is indeed a wonderous gift from God. I love babysitting him. Jordan-good luck with the new job. Alison-I wish I could go to the park with you. Did I hear you are working? Isaac-stay away from those cords.
We are so glad you live close so we can spend time with you and your darling son. He is such a pleasure to have around.
Eli's screaming, so I couldn't study, ponder, and pray about this blog, however, suffice it to say...Alison, your hair looks so cute scrunched! And Jordan...that is TERRIBLE about your ACL! How on earth were you walking fine when we saw you just a few weeks after that?
Sounds like you guys are doing well! I'm sorry to hear about the knee though...that's no fun. Keith said you left a msg on his phone...something about a brother in Ogden? Anyway, it's no relation that we're aware of. His only two brothers are: Mike, age 12, location Brazil (until Oct), and Neal, age 9, location St. George.
Alison- if Jordan is working nights now, you and I should get together to pass the time. After all, we're not that far away... :)
love you guys!
amelia
Yeah, I wish I could get my hair to do that! I tried once and failed, haven't made a second attempt. But, I'll let my sister know that her hair looks so cute scrunched.
1. ACL. . . yuck! Sorry about that whole thing.
2. I am sure glad that you know the tattoo was a fake. . . i promise to give him the choice in the future. (but are you saying that I can give him the choice?? hee hee... JK)
3. And for teh record I think everyone in cedar has seen the nifty hair sticks you made for me Jordan. AMAZIN!!! thanks again.
-Melissa
Looking forward to another update...(although I have no room to talk).
Post a Comment