7.30.2009

Odds and Ends

We spent Pioneer Day at our favorite "out of town" destination . . . West Jordan. I was a bad guest and let the house cat slip past me into the backyard. While I was coaxing the cat the boys were enjoying the swing set. As you could likely guess by the lack of light in this video, it was getting really late and long past the time we should have been heading home, but those brothers were having such a great (and nearly tear-free) time playing together that we let them keep at it for quite some time.



***

The boys moved in together several weeks ago. It's a blessing . . . and a curse. I really like having the extra room upstairs, but bedtime can be a nightmare. These are two separate post-bedtime escapades documented by two separate parents . . . there were no pictures on our camera between them. We each experienced a degree of amusement at the first witnessed occurrence, but still Jordan devised a method of "locking" the closet to discourage future late-night shenanigans.


***
Consider yourself warned: This section discusses bodily elimination.

After I finally got around to buying big-boy underwear, Isaac decided he would get around to using the 'potty'. Waiting for him to decide he was ready made our potty-learning experience a piece of cake. I was slightly worried about the solid waste factor, but during dinner on his first day in underwear, Isaac said "um, I really want a diaper" which lead us right into the bathroom. He's quite pleased with himself and I'm thrilled that it is (pretty much) all his doing.

I'm slightly less pleased with Aaron's renewed fascination with the toilet. He wants to be big like Isaac, but doesn't quite get it yet. So, he's taking to urinating as soon as I get his diaper off on the changing table. Irritating, I admit.

***



We had friends over to play while their mom went Visiting Teaching. All the kids got tools and played in the dirt.






Isaac sang the "dig, dig, dig" song.








B picked the most dangerous . . . I mean, only child-appropriate tools.









T made sure to keep the wheelbarrow emptied.










Aaron lost interest, but thought the gloves were pretty cool.






When the mom returned, sweet Tessa wasn't ready to leave and asked to stay for lunch. We had a great time together. I was amazed how much less conflict occurred during the boy/girl play time. Maybe it's just their personalities, but I think there is something to be said for innate gender roles.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Those are some great gardening pictures. I guess it's both a blessing and a curse that Aaron wants to be like his big brother.

Jess said...

Oh, and congrats on the potty-training.