7.31.2006

Spelling, Sandwiches, and Soccer

After two posts of double proportion, some of you may not know quite what to think of our single week update (and a relatively uneventful week, at that). However, I hope the shock is not more than your system can handle and you will make it through the review unscathed.

Monday, July 24
In true holiday fashion, we woke late today with just enough time to eat before getting Jordan to Bountiful for a work training meeting. Before leaving, a co-worker of his called to see if he would work the last part of her shift that day. She had been called in and agreed to work that morning only to find that her husband had bought tickets to the rodeo. Jordan and I now being accustomed to a lack of holiday observance, w
e decided that he should take pity on his fellow nurse.

Tuesday, July 25
I spent the morning washing a proverbial mountain of laundry and much of mid-day teaching Isaac the fine art of folding sheets. After such an intense lesson, we both found ourselves in need of a nap to regroup. In return for taking the last half of her shift yesterday, Jordan's co-worker covered part of his shift today allowing him to leave in time to take an exam, thus maintaining his practice of staying one step ahead of a 100-point loss.

Wednesday, July 26
Isaac once again proved is superior intellect by acknowledging his ability to spell. Upon completion of his mid-afternoon meal, Isaac and I had the following conversation. I began with the well-known cheer "Gimme a 'B,'’ gimme a 'U,' gimme an '‘R,'’ gimme a 'P.'’ What does that spell?"” To which Isaac was quick to respond with a hearty post-feeding burp.

Thursday, July 27
In my opinion, dinner was the high point of this day; Smashed White Bean and Avocado Club. It'’s a recipe I got from this month'’s issue of RealSimple and I thought it was just fantastic (as long as you neglect to put on the red onion, of course). Jordan could have left work by about 7:30 (and if he had been, this would have definitely knocked dinner to second place as far as high points go), but stayed a little late to help a co-worker who had been swamped all day.

Friday, July 28
Tonight, Jordan not only could have left work by 7:30, but he in fact did leave work and arrive home before 8 o'’clock. That is news enough to fill an entire blog day!

Saturday, July 29
We ventured out of the house in the late afternoon to attend the birthday party of our now 6 yr-old niece. Despite a few wrong turns, we arrived in time to see a group of young children play Twister. While they didn'’t all exactly grasp the concept of keeping their back-sides off the ground, it was an entertaining sight. In the evening, Jordan and I went to a ReAL Salt Lake game with Josh, Brooke, and her sister, Marnie, while Aunt Jess served as Isaac'’s first baby-sitter. Isaac and I seemed to fare the separation tolerably (with the exception of a rather vocal protest on Isaac's part as bedtime rolled around). Jordan (being a great soccer enthusiast) was hoping for an experience to convince his dear wife that soccer was in fact not a boring sport. In this respect, the game failed miserably. However, as the means of a much needed night-out, it served its purpose well.

Sunday, July 30
After deciding that Phase 10 was the game of choice for the gathering at my parents'’ house, I was only somewhat surprised to discover that they do not own the game and in fact have very few games for more than four players. In the end we discovered that playing Scrabble on teams isn'’t altogether practical. However, Jordan and I trounced the other players and that after all is what counts.

4 comments:

Jess said...

I always knew that Isaac was a superior baby; imagine, spelling at the age of six weeks! :)

Josh said...

Alison, I'm sorry you didn't see the game the way we did. The game was exceptional, especially toward the end, so if you didn't like this one, I guess you are truly not a soccer fan.

I hope Jordan enjoyed it, and at least that you enjoyed the dinner and being out with us. We enjoyed your company, and the chance to see Isaac.

J-L-J-E said...

Alison, you're such a gourmet! Folding laundry knocks us out for the day, too.

Jill McQuade said...

my offical vote is that you need to update your blog. :)