7.24.2006

This Blog's On Me

So, we finally got some film developed (one roll of which included pictures of the Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince release last July) and celebrated by scattering pictures throughout our blog. For all you treasure hunters out there, there are eight new pictures to find. And now, the weeks-in-review . . .

Monday July 10 - We thought we would start this week off right by doing everything in our power to be in debt by the end of it. We had recently been informed that my sister's mother-in-law was looking to sell her van, so we took a trip to Farmington for a test drive. Finding nothing to complain about and many things to elicit praise, we began the process of applying for a loan. Leaving the van, we then headed north to meet various family members at the Olive Garden for a celebratory dinner in honor of Jordan's newly acquired nursehood. The unlimited breadsticks and salad is not all I remembered it to be, but the entrees are greatly improved since last we ate there.

Tuesday July 11 - With Jordan away at work, I spent the day in pursuit of a cleaner house. Most of my energy was focused on scrubbing our bathtub so that using it to bathe our son would actually result in a cleaner child.

Wednesday July 12 - Wasting no time in putting our clean tub to use, Isaac experienced his first tub bath. He
was far less irritated at being cleaned in this manner than his kitchen sink baths and actually seemed to enjoy the water (his second tub bath was even reason enough to smile). While Jordan and Isaac splished and splashed, I enjoyed the company of my Visiting Teachers.

Thursday July 13 - Jordan, once again, braved the wonderful world of employment while I undertook a more frightening battle of visiting the dentist. Much to my surprise and delight, I was informed that I only had one small cavity, which could be taken care of the very next week. Many people may not find any joy in being informed they have one cavity, but considering the amount of silver that has been put in my mouth in years previous, this news was quite exciting to me. My mom and I ran a few errands before returning to our apartment to tackle some sewing projects. I had a design for a changing table organizer in my head (a pouch that velcroed around the end of the changing table to hold diapers and desitin) which with my mother's assistance was able to take form. That evening I was surprised to find my husband in the front room with flowers before the clock struck 9 pm. He had tried to enact an elaborate scheme of calling to say he would be home late and then knocking on the door. However, I didn't get the message or hear him knock, so in the end he just let himself in. But it's the thought that counts.

Friday July 14 - Isaac and I enjoyed a peaceful day at home, while Jordan endured a busier-than-usual day at work. So much for yesterday's "early out."

Saturday July 15 - After Isaac's morning meal, the family trekked down to Kaysville to prepare our window air-conditioner for a trip to Provo. We sold the unit to a current Wymount dweller and decided to clean it up a bit before delivery. Isaac took a nap next to his sleeping cousin while Jordan and I dusted off our old friend and were reminded of how pleasant the unit made our own Wymount experience. In the evening, we enjoyed the company of [now begins Jordan's telling; readers with children will recognize the presence of a young interruptive force] Justin and Lia and Julia and Eli Collings. After some stimulating/scintillating conversation, we played a game of "Time's Up," well-known to virtually all our readers. Justin and I battled bravely, but in the end we just could not compete with our wives' wit, ESP, and healthy dose of good luck in getting all the cards we knew. A fun time was had by all present, except perhaps by Julia, who I'm sure lamented the lack of a male companion her own age to ogle.

Monday July 17 - After Alison's "6 week" OB appointment we went one step closer to the ideal of Real Car Ownership by applying for a car loan. That night, we were privileged to eat dinner (and dessert) with Josh and Brooke. The stated reason for our visit was for Josh and I to get some volleyball practice done so Josh could compete with the Big Kids at the Home Depot Volley-Related Sports Night held on Thursdays. I was served (so to speak) with a tragic reminder that my sporting prowess of yesteryear no longer counts for anything, at least so far as my body is concerned. In a related note, I don't know how I managed to survive my childhood during summers here in Utah. Hoooooooly cow, it's hot.

Tuesday July 18 - I cannot re
port from first-hand knowledge the events of today, because I spent the whole day (almost) at work. I did learn something important today on the job, which is that there is a good reason why subcutaneous injections are not given in the tip of the finger. Yes, folks, Jordan had his first needle-stick injury today, and it hurt quite a bit. I arrived at my parent's (in mom's Saturn, on our last day of borrowship) to find food from the Mandarin waiting for me. Ah, what bliss! During my absence, my mom had taken Alison to get...bum bum bum...our NEW CAR! EXCLAIM! ALL CAPS! It is a beautiful 1997 Honda Odyssey, white in color, with only slight and easily overlooked flaws (save one large flaw, to be noted later). It is very roomy and has several admirable features which can be enumerated on an individual basis should anyone wish a report. We are in debt for the first time in our married life, but not to any degree that it would cause us undue stress. And, it has a CD player (our old car didn't even have a tape deck, and the speakers were bad), and the back doors are regular car doors instead of sliding ones, and all four windows roll down, and the back bench folds into the floor, and the middle bench splits in the middle. So, yeah. Happiness. I got home late enough that baby was down for the night, so we slept at the Johnsen Seniors' home. And speaking of baby, Alison learned a valuable lesson today, which is that it is hot work pushing a baby in a stroller from the bus stop at Highway 89 and 200 North to the Johnsen home. Had she remembered to pull her hair back and take a jug of water life would have been a bit happier. Either way, it is not a trek she plans to repeat anytime soon, but I certainly admire her efforts.

Wednesday July 19 - I went to register the van this morning, and when I got to the front of the (relatively) short line, I asked the teller person if there was any way I could get a license plate that was a multiple of 5. She said she was sorry, but she just had to take the next one in line. Well, ladies and gents, the fates were kind to Jordan this day, because the number portion of our license plate is 550. Very cool, and it keeps the little worms in my head from gnawing on my brain. Just kidding. Alison had an eye appointment today, and discovered that her vision is still perfect. I got new nosepieces and ear things for my glasses, which have taken a few days to get used to. I need new lenses, but good luck justifying spending $80 just to get lenses that aren't covered with a semi-opaque film. In other news, our son is becoming quite adept at the skill of sleeping through much of the night. He routinely gives us 5-7 hours of uninterrupted sleep time now.

Thursday July 20 - Alison went to enrichment tonight and met some folks in the ward. She had to carry baby the whole way (once again forgetting to pull her hair back and take water), because I took the van which still had the stroller in it. I was at work again today. I know I talk about work a lot, but it's hard not to when I spend so much time there. Just ask my wife how much I talk about work once I get home. Go ahead. Ask her. Anyway, I had what I would consider my best shift ever. I did a great job with the time management. But, I still got home at 8:30. So, maybe it wasn't a complete success. I felt good though, and that was what was important to me.

Friday July 21 - Any plans for further success at work today were quickly overcome by the sheer business of the day. We had an admit on top of what was already a very busy shift, and I was there until...get ready for it...11:15 pm. Which means, for the math-deficient or just plain lazy, that I was at work for almost 17 hours. I got home exhausted, but I was still wound up from the exceeding large stress of the day, so I watched an episode of "Smallville" with commentary while I shaved off my beard (I kept sideburns down to my neck for kicks, which I shaved off the next day after my wife so kindly told me "you look ridiculous").
Before you all call your doctors to get prescriptions for anxiolytic medications, I should say that I still have a goatee. Still handsome. However, I fear that I will not soon be able to realize my perennial summertime dream of shaving my head; my mother insists that the only people she knows with bald heads and goatees look like either child molesters or murderers (BTK or Mark Hacking, anyone?) The idea was that everyone would notice the change, but I guess I'm not as noticeable (sniff) as I thought.

Saturday July 22 - We began the day by trying to put our car seat into the base in the van, only to discover that while the car seat alone can be fastened securely, due to the length of the latch end of the seat belts our base will not actually work in the van we have acquired. Oh, the profound sorrow that was ours! We have since discovered that Graco bases will work, so we are in the market for a new car seat. We journeyed sans car seat base to Kiddie Kandids in Layton Hills Mall, where we got a picture of our little boy in a cute Old Navy outfit. I don't think we can legally post them, since we did not purchase them, but the link (at least until it expires) can be found at http://mystudio.kiddiekandids.com/viewshare.asp?c=0062110638WNPCBTU. While in the mall, I visited Sunglass Hut to get some clip-on sunglasses and ran into my old friend Tony Thackeray, who manages the store. It was nice to see him again, and it reminded me that I really need to visit friends more often. Most everyone knows that I am really not any good at keeping in touch, which I feel bad about
but feel powerless to change. Anyway, we went from there to West Jordan for the Roberts family party. I spent a few hours playing Halo with the male half of the family (which makes for some great bonding, despite the subject), then joined the others at the Wright residence for games and food. I was very tired and felt sick for much of the night, as well as most of the next day, but fun times were had. I was introduced to Brain Age, a game for the Nintendo DS, and did some fine Sudoku. I also realized a life goal of driving a Mazda Miata thanks to Preston Dahlgren. I now want to own a car that is made for driving and has some plenty of go, again thanks to Preston. What an experience, and it was a convertible to boot.

Sunday July 23 - I don't usually include Sunday in the update, but it is worth noting that today we blessed our son in South Weber after church. So, I guess Isaac Ellis is now set in stone, so to speak. I'm sure he'll grow into a man worthy of the name of one of the Patriarchs. And, at least from what was said in the blessing, it sounds like he will be a compassionate and good human being.

I hope you enjoyed this edition of The Johnsen Journal. Thank you for your loyal readership.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Another wonderful blog. May I say that the addition of pictures is a welcome one.

J said...

Despite hating 90% of the Kiddie Kandid pictures I see, those aren't too bad.

J-L-J-E said...

What a cutie! I loved the pictures. Congratulations on going into debt for the first time; my dad asserts you can't really claim to be an adult until you have a mortgage (thus his deeding of the chicken shed to us on our wedding day), but I think a car loan counts.