As we sat down to publish this weeks update, we discovered that we never wrote one for last week. Our deepest apologies to any who find themselves slightly disoriented by the lack of continuity. For the sake of these readers (but more honestly for ourselves), we will get that update published . . . someday . . .
Monday, October 23
[J] The highlight of the day was the visit of Amelia and Keith for dinner; we had lasagna (thanks, mom) and various sides, plus tasty cookies from Amelia. We finished the evening with a close game of Phase 10, but I managed to come out victorious.
Tuesday, October 24
After clinicals today (I was in the Davis Surgical Center), I took a series of naps while Alison made dinner. Then, I did a series of homework assignments while Alison went to bed. Not the day an outside observer would have called me an attentive husband or doting father.
Wednesday, October 25
I started the day by taking a 1.5-hour walk, which has become my habit on days that I don't work or have clinicals (if I increased my pace a bit, I'd probably get some great exercise; as it is, I meander around getting minimal benefit). As is also my habit on mornings after I don't go to bed very early, I joined Alison in bed after I got back. Isaac, uncharacteristically, slept in until 9:45, giving all three of us extra sleep. This would normally be a good thing, but it also meant that his schedule for the day was somewhat altered.
Our next-door neighbor and Alison have been getting on very well; she has two young children and they have formed a play group with another mom in the ward. I have always dreamed of becoming good friends with next-door neighbors, so this is very good indeed. We are deciding that we really are fond of South Weber, and our neighborhood in particular.
Early this afternoon we went to Tanner Clinic for an appointment with the doctor, thence to my parents' house to finish painting a dresser for the nursery. In celebration of our visit, my mother bestowed upon us some homemade vegetable beef soup and yummy breadsticks.
Thursday, October 26
[A] I babysat for the next-door neighbors today (a three-year-old and a nine-month-old). For the most part it went pretty well, but I'm certainly glad I don't have three kids right now. Blake is in potty-training and eating-things-if-he-feels-like-it mode. Brody doesn't like a bottle or napping very much. And Isaac is still fairly attached to me. So, it made lunchtime rather interesting, but I seemed to manage okay. I even managed to have all three kids napping at the same time in the afternoon. What a feat!
[J] I returned home from a somewhat stressful day at work just in time for the visit of our home teacher, who shared a nice message about parenthood. I remember on my mission when I realized just how important home teaching is when it is done correctly. I know it is not always convenient to have the home teachers come (especially at times when I would rather be winding down from work by playing volleyball with Josh) but it is good to support a home teacher who makes the effort, and there is always something to be gained from the message that is brought if we are in the right frame of mind.
Friday, October 27
We never quite got around to planning our traditional Halloween time party and thus feared we might spend the evening without the pleasure of friendly company (aside from our friendly selves, of course). However, Jessica, Josh & Brooke were able to come over for games and a movie. We had fun (or at least I had fun; the others didn't complain which I suppose implies tacit enjoyment). The Battle Royale of the Sexes proved to be somewhat embarrassing for the men, but we mumble mumble excuse mumble.
Saturday, October 28
I had perhaps my most enjoyable day ever at work, following a commitment in the morning that I would strive to be a more congenial coworker today. Starting the day with a good attitude makes all the difference; hopefully someday I will be strong enough to do it every day. Alison spent as much time as she could in bed, trying to overcome her "sniffly coughness." [I gathered as many baby related supplies as I could within arms reach of our bed so that I wouldn't have to get up too often. Isaac got a little bored with the scenery, but endulged his miserable mommy as best he could. Apparently he thinks I'm more fun when I'm not sick. -A]
Sunday, October 29
Church today was a wonderful affair; we are gearing up for the primary program, which is sure to be a big success. Alison learned about enhancing marital relations, also sure to be a big success if done correctly. After church I went home teaching (alone; my companion was sick), which went quite well. I am determined to be a home teacher in the tradition of the noble Johnsens who preceded me (hard shoes to fill indeed). Tonight we attended the Woodbadge ceremony for Aaron, a very big deal and something quite admirable. There were a very many scouters in the room, which made me a bit nostalgic; I enjoyed scouting quite a bit and although I don't much regret not getting my Eagle, I do regret not going out into nature more than I do. There is something about communing with nature that brings peace to the soul, much in the way the temple can. I think that is the way it is meant to be.
10.30.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I thought Friday was fun. It was nice to see you guys.
It was a lot of fun, especially the game part.
Read and enjoyed, but my commentorial Muse appears to be napping.
-Justin
Post a Comment