I decided that I needed a place separate from our family blog for writing about things that really don't fit or belong in the life-in-review format. I've been toying with the idea of "my own" blog for awhile, but really got motivated after reading a friend's post reflecting on the need to express more joy for the things that are right rather than frustration over the things that aren't.
Way back in the day, when I thought using a planner was worth my time, each day would start with the phrase "Today is a wonderful day . . ." with a reason why. I found that this little reminder helped me to be optimistic and choose my attitude in life. Lately, I've noticed myself being rather grim in my outlook and finding reasons to complain or be frustrated when things vary slightly from my "ideal." My initial reaction to what I like term Cheerio incidents illustrates my point exactly. I've been blessed with an incredibly independent good natured little boy who finds joy in exploring his world. Most of the time I see that joy, too. And then, he starts throwing Cheerios around the room and erupts in peals of laughter and all I can do is muster a furrowed brow and lame we-don't-behave-in-such-an-unruly-manner face as I try to convince this sweet 16 month old that throwing Cheerios is wrong. Like I commented here, what do I want to remember? Is it really that big a deal to vacuum up stray Cheerios? Have I honestly convinced myself that Isaac is acting "childishly" to deliberately ruffle my feathers? Of course not! And when I have the sense to realize that, I can't help but laugh at my own furrowed brow.
And so, my blog. President Eyring's conference address inspired me to make a place where I could record, recognize, remember and reflect upon the joy and blessings in my life. In doing so, I hope to draw closer to the ideals I'm striving for and redevelop the choose your own attitude mentality I used to have. And if you're along for the ride, perhaps I just might say something that is of use to you, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Alison, this is such a great idea. I also found myself so caught up in the tasks of motherhood that I didn't enjoy those times as much as I could have enjoyed them. I was looking too hard at the destination and oft times forgot to enjoy the journey. Thank goodness parents can redeem themselves when they become grandparents!
I really enjoy your insights into life. This may sound silly, but I admire your parenting skills and hope to incorporate at least some of them into my own.
I enjoy your insights as well as Jordan's as you experience life on a daily basis. I also enjoyed Elder Eyring's talk and hope to find a way to take the time for a daily entry to record and recognize the blessings in my life.
Post a Comment