A few days ago, I enjoyed a rare afternoon of Isaac taking a nap . . . at the same time as Aaron, no less.
The typical routine is that Isaac goes into his room for "quiet time" while I get Aaron down for a nap. When the house has been still for a sufficient amount of time to ensure that all are sleeping or at least calmed enough to last through the evening, I open the bedroom doors. Usually, Isaac is lying on the floor or sitting in the rocking chair biding his time, but occasionally he is peacefully sleeping.
Such was the case earlier this week.
I cracked the bedroom door and peeked in to see a sweet toddler lost in dreams. I stood by and watched him sleep. I opened Aaron's door and watched him, too.
I drifted back to my early days of Motherhood and reminisced the many times I stood in the dark over Caleb's crib and watched my baby sleep. The all consuming awe that allowed me to guard my young one's dreams without ever growing bored. A time when I was capable of shutting off the impulse to do the laundry or clean the toilet or get to bed . . . and was able to
just. be. still.
Time has diminished that ability. Somewhere over the past 5 years I stopped watching my children sleep and started worrying about all the things I needed to get done during those precious minutes alone.
Today I'm grateful for the reminder of what is really precious about those minutes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
A beautiful post, Alison. Beautiful, indeed.
What sweet boys you have. All three are truly gifts from God.
I nearly cried. Great post. I am jealous that you get to be home with them while I slave away at work.
I don't know why these posts about Caleb popped up in my Google Reader as new posts, but I had another good cry tonight. thanking of you during this tender time.
Post a Comment