5.21.2009

Playing Catch-up

A few Sundays ago, I finally got around to finishing my journal entry about our house hunt last fall. Last night, I wrote in both Isaac's and Aaron's journals for the first time since January. By comparison, our blog may as well be Kansas City.

First off, as I was loading pictures from the camera and scanning to see if there were any I'd like to post I ran across the photo at left of Aaron's first beater-licking experience. I kept looking at it thinking it seemed all too familiar. Sure enough, as I went scanning through the archives I found the photo below of Isaac enjoying a beater (which I think was his first experience as well). Is that not crazy? Well, I thought it was pretty odd which is why I decided to share . . . so, I guess, in the end, it doesn't matter whether anyone else finds the coincidence significant.

We recently went to a Boy Scout Pow-Wow to see Uncle Aaron dance. The boys had a great time bouncing to the constant drum beat. As Isaac was coming in to the arena with Jordan, one of the dancers with a costume laden with feathers was leaving which prompted this little dialogue:

I: "Yikes!"
J: "Why did you say 'yikes?'"
I: "My say yikes! the bird thing."

A day or so later, I found Isaac strapping Jordan's hat around his waist to be a "chicken a-dance" and proceeded to jog around the couch to his best Pow-Wow dancing beat. Isaac would have music ("his" music, anyway) playing constantly if I could stand it. It seems he is always singing or talking to himself these days. It just makes me smile! However, if I smile too much it interrupts the flow of his play . . . so I have to be careful. Here's one of his little dialogues from dinner the other night.

While eating apple slices . . . 2 in one hand & 1 in the other . . .

Little Voice: "Oh no, where's my mom & dad?"
Deep Voice: "That's not your mom & dad . . . we is; want to go for a walk?"
Little Voice: "Yes."

And the way he says 'yes' . . . it's one of his current favorite words and I can't get enough of the cuteness.

Aaron has become quite the little climber. I frequently walk into the room to find him sitting atop whatever perch he can manage. Generally, this doesn't pose too great a problem, however since our dinner table is butted right up against the stair railing, we are suddenly faced with the daunting task of remembering to keep all of the chairs pushed all the way in.

Also, affected by his climbing prowess is his ability to get into one of his most beloved places in our house - the bathtub. After setting the tub to drain the other night, Jordan and I heard a very distinct 'splash' and returned to the bathroom to find our freshly jammied boy in the tub for round two.

Aaron language development is starting to pick up to the point that he can actually communicate his wants needs and preferences (if he feels like it). He knows his favorite words and will point out more balls, balloons, birds, and dogs than you ever knew you wanted to notice. Consequently, I am coming to realize just how many balls, balloons, birds, and dogs are featured in picture book

We planted a tree in our yard to commemorate Caleb's fifth birthday. Thanks to all that came; it was nice to be surrounded by family on one of our bittersweet days. All who wanted to were invited to help in the planting process and, if inclined to do so, share their thoughts. All things considered, it was a nice gathering.

I'll be doing a tree for the Festival this fall - I'm thinking a "Back to Basics" type theme to mark the year Caleb would have started school. As in the past, I am glad of any insight and support in the execution of the project. So, if this is your sort of project, let me know and I will gladly include your time and talents.

Jordan officially graduated with his BSN in April and just this week was interviewed for admission to the Master's program at Westminster. We should know whether he was accepted by the end of next week.

All in all, life is good to us. We are loving the warm weather (and absence of wind) that allows us to play outside after breakfast and take evening walks together as a family. Despite last year's hesitation, Isaac has become an avid fan of sprinklers; Aaron, ever the imitator & lover of all things water, will undoubtedly soon embrace them as well. Here's a little video from a family barbeque last weekend & a view more pictures for your viewing pleasure. Until next time . . .

















8 comments:

Melissa robison said...

I am in, let me know what I can help with.

YAY!

Melissa

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

First, that is too funny that they are wearing the same shirt. Maybe it somehow puts you in the baking mood.
I was just telling my mom that I was going to ask you if you were doing a tree this year when we saw you at the reunion in July. I would love to help and am fairly handy with a glue gun. :) Really, I'd love to do anything that I could finish here and send to you. I love that stuff.

Jess said...

Count me in for the tree. I loved the videos and pictures. Thanks.

Diane said...

Love to be of help, just let me know what I can do...I'm not too artistic but if shown, I can duplicate! I'd be glad to donate funds also!

S said...

I would love to help with the tree, as well.

Emily said...

I love that Isaac & Aaron are wearing the same shirt for the 1st beater experience. Maybe Carson could borrow it :) It was tons of fun to watch them in the sprinklers. I will have to get you the powwow pics & video.

Megan said...

The pictures just made me laugh!

As far as "Back to the Basics" I think it might be cute to have some "official" kindergarteners help with some of the decorations. (I might be able to find a few for you!) Let me know what I can do, too.

Amelia said...

First, the beaters pic with both of them wearing the same shirt is priceless! :)
Second, I love that you planted a tree for Caleb.
Third, I don't have a lot of time or talent to offer, but if I can be of some help for the tree just let me know.
And last, I love hearing and seeing your boys grow! The stories and pics are precious. Thanks for sharing!