I started this post last week and couldn't finish before going to bed. Then blogger was acting funky and even though I'd saved the draft, it didn't show up in my post list to be edited. That bugged me enough that I haven't wanted to finish the post at all for several days. Which is really quite dumb because I'd also saved my progress as a text file so it's not as if I'd even lost anything. Annoyance can be a very odd thing.
So, here it is. A bit outdated, but recorded all the same.
***
Isaac and I are sick. Our family stayed up really late every night for most of a week and it finally caught up with us this past Monday. We're on the mend now, but my awesome parenting skills knew no bounds on Wednesday.
I didn't get out of my pajamas all day long. The boys did, but I sure didn't dress them. They were both next to naked from breakfast to bedtime. And they spent most of their "nekky" time in our super-chilled basement watching movies. Yep, sometimes my mothering amazes even me.
***
One of our more rewarding late nights was spent at the U of U Gymnastics meet on the 5th. We laid claim on two of the offered tickets early in the week, but ended up with two more at the last minute. This was truly awesome, because having failed to procure a babysitter, we were able to take the whole family along. Our seats were on the fourth row right behind the uneven parallel bars. Right after sitting down Isaac said "I want to do that sometime." Both boys had fun and did great the whole time. They were a little less enchanted once the teams weren't right in front of us, but were quite content to search for "the owl" during the remainder of the meet. Apparently, the mascot shooting t-shirts into the audience was the highlight of the evening. Even as we were walking to the car at the end of the night, both boys were asking when they could see "the owl" again.
Both boys were dozing off right as we pulled into Nielson's Frozen Custard in Bountiful, but woke as their treat sensors began to give loud alarm. So we did what any self-respecting parents would do and doled out the french fries and ice cream. It was 10:22. The perfect finish to a night out together.
***
Late in January, we grabbed a bit of cash (from one of our many anonymous donors who all deserve another big "thank you") and went bowling. One of my friends had recently posted about bowling with her family which rekindled my interest. Especially, in taking the boys. My in-state family members all joined us at Davis Lanes for some family fun.
Aaron loved picking a ball, carrying the ball and pushing it down the ramp, but had no interest in sticking around to watch the pins fall down. He did, however, take off down the lane once. Whether to catch a ball or knock down some pins is anybody's guess. Isaac was truly interested in every aspect of his turn (and even did a few excited dances) until he found the arcade games in the corner. After that, he would dutifully return to push two balls before hurrying back to drive the car. Jordan threw every ball from a stand still on the line, so as not to aggravate his knee and still trashed my score. Which really wasn't so hard to do after my first three balls went straight into the gutter.
After bowling, my dad took the family to Dairy Ann for treats. An outing isn't really complete without a treat.
***
Jordan just returned from some male bonding time with two of our neighbors. They dug a tree stump out of our yard and cut down two big trees at one of the neighbors'. Paul Bunyan style. In the rain and snow.
I can't fathom the enjoyment, but Jordan had a great time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I do admit that Jordan's love for taking out trees escapes me. Oh well, to each their own. It sounds like you guys have been having fun (and I wouldn't get out of my pajamas if I wasn't forced to by work.)
I am so glad you had fun at the gymnastics meet. I think waking the boys us for a treat was fun, and I bet they did, too. I hope you are soon on the mend.
Just wanted to let you know that I shared the portion of your blog that you wrote about the gymnastics meet. He was pleased. He said the mascot's name is Swoop.
What I meant to say was that I shared your gymnastics entry in your blog with my boss.
Lauren's favorite part is swoop too; she calls him snoop. If people saw what Lauren wears most days they may think I'm a bad mother too. The same mismatched shirt and shorts every day, no matter the weather.
Post a Comment