12.19.2013

Secret Santa

So, we got a letter a few days back informing us that we had been nominated to receive 12 days of Christmas gifts. The organization chooses 10 families each year based on nomination letters. We were not sure what to think of it at first, but seven days later, we are very grateful and humbled by the attention. Each gift has been accompanied by a paper with a scripture or other inspirational saying. I thought I would give a brief report of what has been generously given to our family:

The First Day of Christmas: "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail-" (Moroni 7:46)

We received a dining gift card and a cute 12 Days of Christmas book, which we immediately read together. When I say "read" I mean that Alison and I sang the whole thing while most of the children enjoyed our harmonizing.

The Second Day of Christmas: "And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing." (1 Corinthians 13:3)

We received gloves for me and Alison. This is especially nice, as Alison felt prompted to give her gloves away to a cold-handed woman a few weeks ago and has been driving without gloves since that time.

The Third Day of Christmas: "Wherefore, there must be faith; and if there must be faith there must also be hope; and if there must be hope there must also be charity." (Moroni 10:20)

We received a lovely picture of the first presidency in a style which is hard to describe but looks really nice. We hung it by the front door.

The Fourth Day of Christmas: Yes, well, a child seems to have absconded with the paper that came with this one.

We received some attractive neckties for all the men in the family. I will wear mine this Sunday.

The Fifth Day of Christmas: "As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love." (John 15:9)

We received three packages of candy cane Hershey's Kisses, and two packages of mint truffle Kisses. I have never had the mint kisses before this, and they are delicious.

The Sixth Day of Christmas: "Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another." (1 John 4:11)

We received a delightful set of t-shirts with literary themes from a company called Out of Print.

The Seventh Day of Christmas: ""The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." (Mahatma Gandhi)

We received a box of cute clothing for Alison and Clara.

We are looking forward to the remaining days. The children anxiously await each delivery and take turns opening the boxes. We have no idea who is sending the gifts (the return addresses are all Post Offices), but we'd like to say thank you for bringing a special added layer of excitement to this year's Christmas.

2 comments:

Nana J said...

What a wonderful Christmas cheer your benefactors have given to you. Thank you for sharing.

Jessica Marie said...

I'm not going to lie; I am very curious about the rest of the gifts.