5.23.2008

Rainy Days

March! Was it honestly March when we last updated? That's two busy months gone without a word. Given our track record, I guess I really shouldn't be all that surprised. However, every other time I know I'm lacking in the update department . . . this time it feels like I just posted. Ah, well, so it goes.

This past couple weeks have been busy, but certainly fun.

Friday, May 23
Jordan got off work early today (read switched hours with a co-worker who later had the hours covered by someone else, but offered to still cover the hours since we had made plans with the free Friday night) and so we went on a real date. Well, as real as it can be when Aaron comes, too. We had been talking about going to Iron Man since Caleb's birthday and hadn't found/made the time. So, Jordan and I dropped Isaac off for a sleepover with Nana & Poppy and took ourselves to the Motor-vU. The last movie I saw at the drive-in was Jurassic Park which was released in 1993 & I can't remember the last time I went to a movie before it hit the dollar theaters. How did I stay away so long? I'm sold on the drive-in experience. It was fun growing up, but now as a mother who will probably have one child or another metaphorically tethered to me for many years to come, I'm even more in love. I can see a new release without being one of these irritating people (because if you go to the drive-in and honestly expect there not to be any little kids, I'm sorry, but you deserve to be annoyed if they disturb you from another car).

Sunday, May 25
Deciding that one movie wasn't quite enough, we put the boys to bed and abandoned them to watch National Treasure: Book of Secrets with some friends. Aaron objected to being left, so I came back to retrieve him, but left Isaac sleeping peacefully in his crib. Alright, so really we didn't abandon them . . . exactly. The beauty of living in an apartment building is that friends live close enough to be in the same square footage as a normal house. So, the baby monitor picks up just swimmingly in the apartment above(or to the side). Be scandalized if you'd like . . .
The movie was good, but a little too much a copy cat of the first to be differentiated. I really liked the first one.

Monday, May 26
We took a trip to the cemetery before Jordan went to work and then, the boys and I went to Willard with my family to visit my grandparents' grave. The weather was wet and windy; nothing like the sunshine and pleasant breeze that accompanied Caleb's birthday. However, by late-afternoon it had cleared up enough to allow a barbecue at my parents. All in all, a peaceful day.

Tuesday & Wednesday, May 27 & 28
Since Memorial Day was Jordan's holiday to work, his regular Wednesday shift was cut to balance his hours. Finding ourselves in the rare position of having three consecutive days to spend together, we decided to skip town and, unlike previous attempts, actually managed to do it. My parents were gracious enough to let us use a couple days of their East Canyon time, so our only real expenses were gas and food. We were only 30-40 minutes from home, but completely on vacation. Our cell-phones didn't have service, our accommodations weren't over-thrown with excessive "pleasures" of modern life. We had a few toys for the boys, a few games for us and time. Josh, Brooke, and Tanner joined us for the first night. After a bit (okay, a lot) of work getting Isaac to sleep in a strange place, it was fairly late so we didn't do too much that night.

The next day we went on a walk to the playground and then to the pool. The water was really warm, so we decided to give it a try. By the time we all got changed and back over to the pool, it was quite breezy. Isaac and Tanner seemed to be having fun, but were both just shivering after about 20 minutes. So, we went back to the condo where Josh and Brooke got packed up so that Josh could get back for work. Rather than starting a fight we wouldn't win or resigning ourselves to the crankiness of a napless toddler, we took a drive after lunch to lull our boys (mostly the big one) into a motion induced sleep. As a result, we all were able to have a relaxing afternoon and be in spirits fit to enjoy each others company that evening. Instead of repeating the previous night's process of getting Isaac to sleep (which didn't work all that well anyway since he woke up hot part way through the night and came downstairs to bed with me at which point he fell out of bed and woke up Aaron necessitating Aaron joining us in order for any of us to get back to sleep which resulted in Jordan being banished to the couch to create enough room), we made him a little bed on the floor by our bed, turned out all the lights and settled ourselves in for the night. After wandering around in the dark for a few minutes, Isaac was sufficiently convinced that he wasn't missing out on anything and went to sleep.

Thursday, May 29
Having done all the necessary clean-up and packing the night before, we were able to check-out of the condo right after breakfast, a feat of Herculean proportions judging from my childhood memories of my parents trying to get us all up and out of there on time. Once we were all in the car, we drove home to unload and continued on to Nana & Poppy's for Jordan to do some work on our new-to-us table while the boys "napped" and I had the pleasure of doing a temple session.

No comments: