6.16.2008

Blast from the Past

Isaac was following me from my parents' porch to our van as I carried my old filing cabinet out. The sprinklers were going and my route was strategically chosen to result in the driest possible cargo. Isaac being unfamiliar with the slow-slow-slow-slow-quick-return pattern of sprinklers soon found himself trapped in the ceaseless cycle of getting sprayed in the face. He strongly expressed his displeasure as I tried to coax him (from 10 or so feet away) into backing up while I jammed the filing cabinet into our backseat. Soon, I was free of my armload and able to repent of my amusement by rescuing him from one more spray to the face. However, I couldn't leave it at that; I couldn't let him forever associate sprinklers with trauma.

So, I rolled up my pants and ditched my shoes on the driveway before tossing Isaac onto my back and running off into the wet grass. We galloped around the yard for a bit and the frightening experience of being trapped and alone soon melted away. Isaac was left giggling on my back as we ran through the sprinklers together.

Rediscovering childhood joys is one of the many reasons it is so great to be a mom.

4 comments:

Jess said...

That's a great story. Now he can associate sprinklers with the good memory of having fun with his Mom.

Nana J said...

You are such a great mom. What a wonderful way of dealing with a potential fear.

Jennifer said...

I agree, I love experiencing things again with Lauren. Everything brings her such joy.

Singletonmd said...

I love love love it! And ditto to you be a wonderful mother comment! You amaze me!