10.25.2008

About the new house...

[J] We got a lot of entirely unexpected comments about our last post. Apparently, people are more interested in a pile of bricks and wood than they are in the financial benefits of cloth. So, to satisfy your collective thirst for details, here are a few sips.


So, here is the front of our new house. Unfortunately, I don't have the expertise to cull images from Flash presentations, so I can't show you any of the tour. However, if you would like to take the tour yourself, you may do so here.

In other news, that's my first hyperlink. I feel so big!

So, the story behind this house is that we looked pretty much everywhere in Davis County in our price range. The houses were either gross, handyman specials, in an area we didn't like, or disapproved by our friends upstairs. We had always said that we would love to find a home we can afford in South Weber, and after a few weeks of looking at houses one came up. I won't tell the whole story of that house here; suffice it to say that it could have worked out financially but the Lord knocked some sense into us before we heard whether we would be approved for it (we were, which is scary).

So, while I was at Priesthood session Alison was hanging out at our agent's house and found a house in Washington Terrace that caught her eye. She felt really good about it, which means something because it has many of the features we had not necessarily looked for in a home (older kitchen, carpeted dining area, etc.). We toured the property and fell in love. Now we are anxiously waiting for our closing date (November 6) and planning painting projects. The inspection turned up some minor wiring problems and a couple of rusty window wells but nothing major, which is nice since the home is a third of a century old.

In other news, Halloween is my last 12-hour shift at my current place of employment. (Remind me to tell you the story of how I haven't gotten a new job yet.) I have worked 12-hour shifts since I started working as a nurse; at first they were great because I had so much time off, but now I just resent the evenings away from my family. Plus, I don't really think I'm built for 12s anyway - I wonder sometimes whether I do any good after the 9th hour of work. So, beginning Nov. 4 I will be working 7a-3p Tuesday-Saturday. I will still work every Saturday like I do now, but at least I will have every evening off (and plenty of structured homework time).

Don't ask about school.

10 comments:

S said...

Congratulations, you guys! The house looks great. And I love how big the yard is (at least in the tour).
Have fun painting!

Diane said...

Wow! Congratulations! I am thrilled for you and willing to help with the painting if it is at all possible. The yard looks great and ready for your homey(SP?) touches. It looks like it is in great shape. Of course you know, when the furniture gets moved there will be some surprises....

Anaelay said...

I LOVE IT!! So excited for your family! Looks like a place for lots of get togethers!! Let us know what we can do to help.

J said...

Great backyard. Not to much grass and and nice garden area.

Jess said...

I am so excited for your family.

Roxanne said...

How exciting! The house reminds me SO much of the house we had in American Fork, right down to the door from the master bedroom to the bathroom and the barn wood on the walls in the family room. Hope everything goes well and you are settled in soon.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Looks great! I, too, love the backyard. The house looks really nice, and does have some great colors already.
How's school going? JUST KIDDING!

Amelia said...

What a find!! It's great!! I love the huge basement and the backyard is great! We're so excited to see it in person! Congrats guys!

me and my GSDs said...

Great house! Apparently the former owners loved red... The yard looks like it is in great shape, just need to get rid of some of that lawn in the front and put in some more flowers (and we all know some people that can help you with that!) Congratulations!

Nancy and crew

Nana J said...

Click on this link (I hope it works)

http://neildini.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/shapeimage_135.jpg