10.13.2008

Diaper $avings

So, I've always had some reservations about the idea that cloth diapering would actually save us money in the long run because the initial price tag gave my brain a sort of sticker shock. Imagine my delight tonight when, contrary to my skepticism, our calculations revealed that our 12 BumGenius 3.0 diapers have now basically paid for themselves (their cost divided by the approximate number of uses is now marginally lower than the cost of an average off-brand disposable diaper). I expect even better from our prefolds/covers arrangement we currently use with Isaac because their up-front cost was even lower. And what's more, Alison will be making some using her insanely wicked-awesome sewing skills which will lower our costs even more.

(And since we're already posting praises to the wonderful world of cloth diapers . . . can we talk about containment! Only one leak in 8 months of use and that was due to my own "operator error." But put Aaron in a disposable for one night and we've got gooey baby poo everywhere. And if that weren't reason enough, they are just so darn cute! I am definitely one of those cloth diapering mamas who is so fully converted that I have an unspoken agenda to convert the world to cloth. -A)

In other news, we're alive and well and our kids are still cute. And we bought a house. (More on that later, we promise.)

7 comments:

Janci said...

Congrats on the house!

Also, I'm officially attacking you for cloth diapering info when I have babies.

Emily said...

I am so excited for an updated post. No matter what the content! You do have great sewing skills at least one of mom's daughters inherited some. Love ya!

S said...

I'm seriously impressed with the commitment to cloth diapers--you guys and Brooke and Josh.

And congratulations on buying a house!! How exciting!

Jess said...

What??? A house? Congratulations.

Jennifer said...

You buy a house and then you post about cloth diapering?? Priorities, people! We want to hear about the house.

Diane said...

What?!! A HOUSE!?!?! Tell us more, like, when is the viewing and painting party? We are great painters....

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

I was going to say EXACTLY what Jennifer said. Congratulations! (On the non-leaky cloth diapers as well as the house.)