11.14.07
When I was a younger gal, it always drove me crazy to have the "grown-ups" tell me that one day my siblings would be my best friends. Now, I don't remember feeling incredibly picked on or teased by my sisters as a kid. On the contrary, Emily and I were typically pretty close. We played well together and shared a bed even after moving into our own rooms. But Angela was so much older than me (you know, a whoppin' 6 years) and Jeremy . . . we fought . . . physically. In my mind there was no chance that the 4 of us would ever want to spend time together once we didn't have to.
Then I moved out.
I remember one of the first times I came home from college my little brother invited me to go to a movie with some of his friends. It was a complete shock to my system. It's not like we really hated each other once we outgrew hitting each other, but I never would have predicted a "come do something with my friends" moment.
Somewhere over the years, we went from desperately wanting to get away from each other to actively wanting to spend time together.
After everyone left on Sunday, I realized (again . . . because this certainly isn't the first time I've come to this conclusion) that my siblings really are my friends. We are all such different people and living in such different places in life, but I always enjoy the time we have to spend together. Who knew that the "grown-ups" from so long ago could have guessed how everything would turn out.

2 comments:
I completely agree with your post. I remember someone telling me "When you grow up, your friends will fall away but your family will remain." It's so true. My siblings are truly my friends (and by extension, their spouses.)
Glad to know that mom and I were correct about one thing at least. Love you all and love the time we get to spend together.
Post a Comment