10.26.2010

That's Why God Builded Me

Lately, I've been worried about the message Isaac gets from some outside sources that he is a deviant child in need of constant correction and deserving of being treated as such. While Isaac does tend to let his excitement get the best of him and his impulse control is lacking and at times he can be downright naughty, he is not a bad kid.

He needs practice. He needs reminders. He needs guidance. But he's only four and is still learning.

However deeply the "naughty child" view bothers me, I can't change how other people choose to interact with him and so have been working on making sure the message Isaac gets from me is one of love and hope and gentle correction. Every now and again we have little "what's right about you" conversations. This is the one we had tonight as I lay next to him in bed.

M: {in a whisper}"I love you, Isaac."
I: {words escaping around the thumb in his mouth}"I love you, too."
M: "You are a good boy . . ."
I: "Thanks."
M: "And a smart boy . . ."
I: "That's a thanks, too."
M: "And a creative boy . . ."
I: "I don't know what that is, but yes."
M: "And a brave boy and I love you so, so, so much."
I: "I love you out of outer-space. Can we even go to outer-space?"
At this point he hopped on the rambling train headed off to discover what we and everything else could and couldn't do in or out of outer-space and I had to drag him back on to the drifting-off-to-sleep train.
M: "Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I love you and think you are a great kid and I'm glad you are part of our family."
I: {in a matter of fact tone}"Yeah. That's why God builded me."

Isaac is unique in all the world and is dearly loved. Jordan and I knew from the get-go he wouldn't be an "easy" child to teach, but bit by bit he does learn. This exuberant child is who our loving Father sent to us and our family wouldn't be the same without him just the way God builded him.

5 comments:

catherine said...

Isaac is a good boy; I hope we don't ever make him feel otherwise.

I feel much the same about Sam. He can definitely be hard to handle and I worry about him being treated unfairly because of it... If only everyone in the world could see all the wonderful things we see in our own children...

Nana J said...

Beautifully written and a great reminder to me. Thank you.

Jess said...

It is hard to remember how much energy and curiosity little children have when we adults are old and boring. This is an excellent reminder and I hope to be better with all my nieces and nephews.

Jennifer said...

What a good reminder. I have to remind myself how young four is sometimes.

We love Isaac and he's perfect just the way he is.

Steve said...

Thanks for the message of love and the reminder of what a "Good" little boy Isaac is. Love you and your sweet family.