Since Isaac started preschool, we've been making more regular trips to the library. He gets to pick a "treasure" for every completed "treasure card" which consists of reading ten books together. I wouldn't really call our collection of children's books small, but when the boys get stuck on a book they want me to read it over and over again several times in a row, so I was starting to get quite sick of our options. I figure if I'm going to get a scratchy voice for reading aloud, there better be some variety.
Anyway, since I'm in a bookish mood, I thought I'd share some of our favorite family selections of late.
FIVE NICE MICEThis is a story about five mice who sneak into a frog concert one night, but are soon discovered and kicked out. They liked the music so much, that they decide to put on a concert of their own.
The story is cute and I love the illustrations.
KISS GOOD NIGHT This one is a really sweet story of a little boy, his mother, and his bedtime routine.
I loved the illustrations on this one, too. But more than anything, I loved seeing the reality of a little boy "waiting" for bed. The image of being tucked on one page with the blanket crumpled and pushed aside on the next. The feeling of stalling the inevitable. The sweet snuggly feeling as the process is completed. This is one I'd like to own.
TUBA LESSONS
This is a picture story in the most literal sense of the word (I think there are only words on the first and last page) about a little boy walking to his music lessons.
I love the imagination and the open interpretation that comes with a book without words.
MY FRIEND RABBIT
Speaking of books with few words. This is another favorite about a good friend that is always causing trouble despite the best of intentions.
Love, love, love the hippo!
RED, RED, RED
This story is about a turtle in a hurry to see something red, red, red and all the things it isn't along the way.
Not sure what it was about this one that made me like it so much, but I liked it all the same.




1 comment:
It is hard to read the same book over and over, especially if it's one that you don't like all that much. Thanks for the suggestions, we'll have to check them out. I've started keeping a list of books that we like. I'll send it to you.
Post a Comment