11.23.2010

Insurance

So, we just got a notice from our mortgage company that our escrow account will have a huge negative balance and we need to put some extra money in. The reason? Someone at our homeowner's insurance agency cast the bones or read tea leaves or whatever and decided that our earthquake zone should be reclassified as higher risk than before. So, our monthly payment will increase by $150 if we keep our earthquake coverage. Neat. I hope there isn't an earthquake anytime soon.

In other news, we are also applying for individual health coverage. We are staying with our same company as we had for our group insurance, with the same network. Yet, even though they have all our records for the past three years, we still have to fill out that ridiculous application where we say every time we have seen a doctor, every medication we have taken (including over-the-counter), every time we have sneezed for the past 15 years (I exaggerate, of course, but still...does it seem to anyone else that the standard they hold the applicants to is a bit slanted toward easier rejection?). Oh, joy. We didn't start the application process until today so if we don't get it done in time we will pay a full COBRA payment for December and start new coverage in January. Did I ever mention that I think our healthcare system is a scam that exists just to make rich people richer and sick people miserable, bankrupt, and dead? This despite the fact that I work in said system.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of health insurance either! After trying to get Tiffany individual health insurance for 4 months, we finally found a place that would accept her with a high premium. We had like 4 denied applications beforehand. The reasoning? A slightly higher than normal bilirubin blood level count. She's completely healthy, and the next blood work she had, things had leveled off. Insurance? Yeah, not so much a fan.

Brooke said...

Amen.

Roxanne said...

Being in the healthcare business, also, I see way too much that irritates me about insurance companies. It is so annoying to see how the insurance companies (and government regulations - grrrr) dictate so much of what a doctor can do for a patient. Medicare has a list of lab tests that they will pay for only a certain number of times per year - and only if the diagnosis is one that they think is valid.

Diane said...

Insurance, can't live with it wouldn't live without it! All those years I spent in the hospital would have bankrupt us without insurance. 5 years of bills over 60,000 each year.

Yea, the earthquake insurance thing kills me too. Ours has gone up every year.