So, really it's a very old obsession, but probably my favorite. And I'm not getting much of it these days.
You may be tempted to nod and feel sympathetic for the "new mother," but my "new baby" has very little to do with my sleep deprivation. Her night-time sleep habits really couldn't be better, but we won't go into that. Or maybe, we will.
Have any of you noticed that the population at large is entirely enthralled with infant sleep habits? Really. It's the only natural reason why everyone continually poses "how's he/she sleeping?" as the first question of the new mama. We don't ask "what are you liking best about your dear-one these days?" We don't remark on the child's developing personality. No, we all want to know how that baby is sleeping at night.
And really what can the response to such a question be?
A) You have a world-class champion sleeper which provokes the questioner to remark on how lucky you are because so many babies are so much worse. For example, my sister's cousin's nephew's neighbor had a baby who . . . And off you go on the ride of horrible sleeper stories.
or
B) You have a hands-down terrible sleeper which sparks the questioner to begin commiserating which is really all a show. Really, you are still being told how much worse it would be if you were the mother of the sister's cousin's nephew's neighbors child.
All right. Obviously, I'm being a bit dramatic. But really! Sleep so low on the list of fascinating things about babies. Pick a much more interesting and joy-inducing topic of conversation. If the mommy needs to blow-off some steam about her terrible, horrible, no good, very bad sleeper, I guarantee she'll work around to the subject on her own. We really need not ask.
***Note: This post is not in any way, shape, or form directed at any of our known readers personally. It's just one of those things I think about. Like asking pregnant women how they are "feeling" all the time. Why is it that the second we find out someone is pregnant all we can think to ask is "how are you feeling?" Anywho- so don't be personally offended. This is not directed at you. And don't feel the need to stop telling me how your child sleeps. Just don't expect me to ask every time I see you. That's all.***
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
All I can say is AMEN...and tell you how much I love you!
Post a Comment