11.14.2009

Generosity

A couple weeks ago we got an envelope postmarked in Virginia with no return address. Inside was some cash wrapped in a blank piece of paper. About this time last year we received a similar envelope, except it was postmarked from somewhere like Minnesota or Wisconsin. We don't know anyone in either of these states.

So, to any of our readers who may be involved . . . Thank you. While we may not know who you are or the exact reason for your kindness, it is always touching to be the recipient of anonymous giving.

The day after Caleb's surgery 5 years ago, a couple from our BYU ward, whom we had never really met, drove up to the hospital and dropped off a bucket of goodies.

For Christmas that year, Jordan and I received an enormous tub of "date night" goodies. We had gift certificates to restaurants and movie theaters and book stores, etc. Those gift cards funded our dates/dining out experiences for several years after.

The night that Caleb was last admitted to the hospital the mother of a dear friend gave us several freezer meals feeling that the only thing she could really do to help was give us more time.

Once, when I was having a particularly emotional day, I pleaded for comfort and support from my Father. Seconds later, a dear friend called to see how I was doing. I didn't answer because I couldn't talk through my tears. But I knew my prayer was heard.

Our family is so blessed to be surrounded by people, known and anonymous, who love us and look out for us even when we might not think we need it.

It's a bittersweet time of year for me. However, it is during these months that my heart is so easily reminded of how important it is not only to graciously give of ourselves, but to graciously receive of others' offerings as well.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm very grateful that the Lord is aware of our trials and that he blesses us, often through others, while we are going through them.