What with one thing and another, Melissa did most of the work last night. Then today, my sweet, sleep deprived sis-in-law, Jessica, managed to zip through the priority tasks for the day and take home several projects. Her point that she can sit and paint for three-hours after work while I can not may be true, but I still feel like I'm getting off easy on this project.
So, in sum, many thanks to all those who helped. I know today turned out to be the all-around least convenient day to do anything, but I appreciate that you came anyway.
I'm beginning to think this tree may actually look like a well thought out project rather than the mish-mash I'd feared. Go the the Festival of Trees the first week of December and see it in person. Kindergarten Christmas. We'll be in M-15. But if you think it looks like alphabet soup, feel free not to tell me.
Since we're on the subject of the Festival . . . some photos from my first tree. That one was a truly cathartic experience. I loved that tree. I wished I could keep that tree. I was tempted to tell the buyers I wanted it back should they ever decide to get rid of it. I was over-joyed to be there and watch the bidding. To see it come down to a silent bid and hear the purchasing wife say simply "I want that tree."
It hasn't been the same experience since then, but it's okay. I haven't been able to offer the project my undivided attention the way I could that first year. I may never love the finished product of another tree the way I did that first one and that's fine. My loving the tree isn't the point anymore. I don't know if I can articulate exactly what the point is. It's more about gathering and remembering than creating. Anyway . . . "Whale Watch."

4 comments:
Hey, sorry I didn't make it. I still would love to help, if you have anything that needs to be done. I can take some stuff home and work on it here during naptime. Or (if your kids are healthy afterall) we can come over and let the boys run amok while we work. When is the deadline for the tree?
Sorry I didn't stay long on Saturday. As Ava was the cause of Jessica's sleep deprivation, she wasn't much of a happy camper herself. Argh those changes in routine and comfort!
The first year you did the Festival was my favorite too, probably because I was able to be down there with you guys helping put it together. I didn't spend as much time with Caleb as I wanted to and should have while he was here with us, so it was a special experience for me to be able to help that first year.
I love that you guys always come up with a "non-traditional" theme for the tree. I'm excited to see this year's all put together. I'd like to help with more if I can. I don't think painting those ten blocks really gave me my fill. So please let me know what else needs to be done.
I loved the first tree as well and I thought it was very cathartic. Mom and I had some fun painting yesterday and I will do some more tonight. I find it soothing and don't mind helping at all. See you Wednesday.
I don't think I have ever seen pictures of that tree. Actually, I don't recall seeing pictures of any. I'd love to see them all. (But, maybe all the rest of your readers were able to see them.)
I've always thought that Festival of Trees was a great thing. I wish I were there to be a part of it. Oh, and remind me someday how my field trip there with the FHA in high school. Let's just call it very memorable...
Post a Comment