11.13.2009

Otherwise Known As

I was wearing a ratty old pj shirt this morning that used to be my sisters. It is an Alice in Wonderland scene with the Cheshire Cat who used to change colors in the sun . . . or heat . . . or something.

Either way, Isaac asked about it and I told him who it was and reminded him that we'd watched the movie together when we were reading the book.

M: "Do you remember that?"
I: "Oh, and it was a long, long time ago and we watched it with me and Mommy and Daddy and ate popcorn and had smoothies! Let's do that again!"

A little later he came and told me he wanted to watch "Alexander and the Treasure Cat." I smiled at the utter cuteness of the way he is trying to assimilate new things into his existing world.

A few of his other alternate names:
*One of the songs I often sing to the boys at bedtime is Lonesome Road (cheery, I know, but it has a great sleepy tone). Isaac calls it "Handsome Road."

*When Isaac first started baking with me and saw me put an apron on he would ask to wear an "apricot," too.

*He recently started playing Buzz from Toy Story. But it isn't Buzz Lightyear . . . it's "Buzz Lightning." After Isaac's all time favorite car, "Lightning a'Queen," of course.

*When things are crumpled or tangled or askew or out of place in anyway really, Isaac says it's "all scrambled."

I'm sure there are plenty more that I'm forgetting, but at least I've recorded a few so his sweet vocabulary isn't lost entirely when he grows up.

4 comments:

JWJohnsen said...

I hate how time is flying...all those cute things Isaac used to do when he was a baby, and he doesn't do any of them anymore. I'm sure he'll stop doing a lot of the cute things he does now. I'm still hoping for a perfect slide show after we die so we can relive all these tender moments.

catherine said...

I'm with Jordan. I really want a slideshow to relive these moments. The time passes too quickly as a parent.

Isaac's sayings are cute. :) Your Buzz Lightyear note reminded me of one of Sam's: he's never seen Toy Story but he somehow knows some of the characters by sight as being from that show, only he calls it "Real Toy Stories!" I don't know where he picked it up, but it sure is cute. I never correct him. ;)

Isn't it a little heartbreaking to see our babies growing into kids?

Regarding your comment, Disneyland is running a promotional in 2010, where if you volunteer one day with a qualified organization you get a free Disneyland pass. Unfortunately it is only good for ages 6+, so only the adults in our family will get in free, but still, paying $62 for Disneyland is a lot better than paying $206! :)

Jess said...

How cute. I love this age.

Steve said...

Your "Alexander and the Treasure Cat" story reminds me one of when you were young. If I remember it correctly, you used to call it "Alison Wonderland" or something like that.

Thanks for sharing with us that aren't around all of the time.

Love you.