Last night, after finally putting down my book and turning off the lamp, there were several distant noises, which were somewhat dull, but none the less conveyed a sense of the volume that should accompany them were we just closer to the source. In my Armageddon mindset, they naturally sounded just like bombs. I, of course, would know since I am deeply experienced in what a bomb sounds like when it explodes.
Then, today as both boys wrestled on the bed next to us, Jordan and I heard a weird whistling type whine outside the window. It could have been mistaken for the wind, but the sound was much too fluid and the tone altered too consistently to be a natural occurrence.
As if that weren't enough to get me worked up, I could also hear garbled announcements from the loud speaker at Hill Air Force base on occasion throughout the afternoon. So, if anyone has the insider information on just how bad the nuclear fallout is going to be, just let me know. I'd like to have an extra moment to get my wits about me.
***
In other news, after preschool today I (and later, we) babysat the daughter of some friends. I was prepared to revel in the chaos of the afternoon. This is what it ended up looking like.
Don't worry. While I did have time to finish my book, I was sufficiently repaid for the calm when the munchkins arose. I never knew a trip to the library could be so dramatic.

5 comments:
What sweet pictures. Sounds like preschool is the way to go!
There's nothing sweeter than sleeping kids. I love to see them asleep with those perfect little faces.
We've been hearing all kinds of explosion sounds and warbling voices coming from Hill, too, and at weird times of night... It is a bit unnerving.
Did you finish Alas, Babylon? How was it? It came due at the library so I never finished it. Is it worth going back to? I can't get into this month's book for anything! Who's idea was it to read Gilead, anyway?! Oh wait, was that my suggestion? ;)
I have managed, however, to get myself sucked into 3 or so really easy, inconsequential books in the last week. I am embarrassed to admit that one was written by Nicholas Sparks, the other was some piece of "chick lit," and the third was a feel-goodie. I have forgiven myself for my momentary lapse and am now reading Mansfield Park. Hopefully it will redeem this last week of reading...
Okay, I'm tired but it is really bugging me that I can't edit my comment above to change where I wrote "Who's" to "Whose." Aargh!
I must have been really tired writing this. I was reading Northanger Abbey, not Mansfield Park. Not that it really matters, but it was bugging me...
Post a Comment