11.15.2009

Half-way There

I'm actually quite impressed that I've managed to keep the post-a-day going so well. Typically, if I don't feel like writing, I don't. Perhaps this is meant more as a lesson to myself in doing things I don't feel like doing. Or something.

I've been reminded lately that when it comes to sleep quality counts much more than quantity. Ever since the abominable Daylight Savings weekend, my boys have been very finicky sleepers.

Isaac wakes up and climbs into bed with us making it hard to move. So, I get up and close the boys' bedroom door in an attempt to prevent Aaron from waking prematurely. He wakes anyway and wants to rock. I wake in the recliner some hours later and return to bed. Isaac wakes and says he wants to go back to his bed which lately has been where Aaron will consent to being left after our mid-night stint in the chair. So, Isaac will go in the crib or on the floor for an hour or so before he is up turning on lights to use the bathroom and get into the kitchen cupboards. Which wakes me and adds that final touch to the start of my day.

I've noticed that over the past few years I've become much more of a grump when it comes to sleep.

It wasn't that long ago when Jordan or I would have to spend an entire night in the recliner to keep our newborn sleeping. There was a long period of time when Isaac refused to sleep unless one of us was on the floor next to his crib. I don't remember it bothering me near as much as it does now. I should just accept the latest disturbances as another phase that will eventually pass. So far, I have not been able to.

The other night, after Jordan hurt his knee, he slept at his parents' house because his mom graciously offered to drive him into Salt Lake for his clinicals. It was a cold night. Aaron woke crying. Isaac was on the floor. All of their little hands were cold. So, I hauled them all back to my empty bed and we slept soundly for the rest of the night.

I guess the real solution is to buy a bigger bed.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Must be time for a California King. :)

catherine said...

You don't know how mad I am at myself for not getting a king-sized bed when we bought a new bed when I was pregnant with Sam. We told ourselves our kids wouldn't sleep in our bed! Our bed is sacred! Only for us! No kids in bed, ever!

Yeah. Right.

I can't get any sleep these days unless Eve's little feet are curled into my stomach (which is the only way she prefers to sleep). James gets relegated to the basement futon.

Really should have bought that king...

I like reading a blog entry a day! It's fun! You should totally keep it up. ;)

Emily said...

Day light savings time ruined Scott as well. We would put him down at the new normal time and he would wake up at the crack of dawn! When I asked the doctor about it he said, "well, he's still getting 10 hours of sleep and taking two naps." That does NOT translate into me getting ten hours of sleep or any naps. Here's to getting more sleep.