11.24.2009

Corrections

Jordan had a rough time with the bedtime story today. First, Isaac asked for Snow White, but wasn't satisfied when the story didn't follow exactly what the movie depicts. Next, he requested Beauty and the Beast, which Jordan vetoed on the grounds that it would be just as disappointing as Snow White.

The compromise: Three Billy Goats Gruff

Dad: Once there were three billy goats gruff who lived . . .
Isaac: No. It starts by the troll.
D: They meet the troll later on the bridge.
I: It starts by the troll.
D: Do you want to tell the story?
I: (in an exasperated and almost panicked tone) I don't know which way it goes!
D: Okay, then I'll tell it. There were three billy goat brothers whose last name was gruff and they spent their time eating grass on the mountain. The littlest billy goat was named, what should his name be?
I: The Beast.
D: And the middle billy goat was?
I: Snow White.
D: And the biggest billy goat was named?
I: Umm. How about the Birds.
D: So, the Beast, Snow White, and the Birds were eating grass on the mountain, but they heard there was some nice green grass on the other side of the river.
I: No, there was no more grass.
D: They were going across the bridge to eat grass.
I: No, like the book there was no more grass.
D: Bud, that doesn't make sense, it is completely implausible that three goats would overgraze the grass so there wasn't any left. Grazing stimulates grass growth. How about the grass didn't taste very good because they were in a savannah, and over the river was below the watershed from a forest, so the grass was nice and green.
I: No, it would be wet and soggy.
D: The goats were thirsty so they liked it wet.
I: Oh.
D: So the Beast went trip-trapping across the bridge when the troll came out and said "who's that trip-trapping over my bridge" and the Beast said (in a small and high-pitched voice) "it is I the Beast" and the troll said "that's ironic because you are . . ."
I: That's not how it goes.
D: So, he said "I'm going to eat you up" and the billy goat said "don't eat me, I'm too small."
I: No, he doesn't eat the troll.
D: It's the goat talking to the troll who is saying "don't eat me" and the troll is saying "I'm going to eat you up.
***
Snow White fairs quite well and makes it across the bridge with no incident, but Isaac jumps right back in with the Birds.
***
D: So the troll says "I'm going to eat you up!"
I: No, he hits him in the river.
D: That comes after. First the troll says I'm going to eat you up, then The Birds says I'd like to see you try, so they start on either end of the bridge and the troll is running toward the goat, and the goat is running toward the troll, and the goat hits the troll with his horns and the troll falls in the river, and the river carries him far away and he is never seen again. And the goats eat the nice wet grass and are happy. (exhale)

During which time, Aaron drifts as he repeats random words from the story like "grass" and "trip-trip-trip" and I fail to contain my laughter.

*****************

While I was typing up our bedtime story experience, I heard Isaac coughing upstairs and was reminded that I hadn't put the humidifier back in the boys' room. I filled it and took it in to find Isaac in the recliner.

Isaac: (in a sleepy voice) "But I don't want that plugged in."
Mom: "It will help make the air better so you don't cough so much."
I: "I won't cough too bad."
M: "I think you might be more comfortable in your bed."
I: "I'm more comfy in the chair cause my bed is the coldest."
M: "Okay, good night." (kisses him on the forhead and turns to go)
I: "Hey Mom, I want to kiss you."
Mom receives a kiss and again turns to go
I: "Hey Mom, have good dreams."
M: "You too, bud."

4 comments:

Jess said...

Those are two very precious moments. Your boys are so cute.

Brooke said...

I can totally hear the exasperation in Jordan's voice. Too funny!

Roxanne said...

I could never 'tell' bedtime stories because I couldn't stay a step ahead of the kids like Jordan and others seem to be able to do. Good job. Very sweet.

Anaelay said...

I love this post. Way to write it down so that you will always remember as well. As for putting up with Jordan's story time, it sounds like Isaac can hold his own. Thanks for the laugh!