11.04.2009

Scrub and Shine

My boys love the bath. Love it.

I'd be lying if I said I was always thrilled with that love. There are those times when my patience has worn thin at the end of a long day and I really just want clean children so I can shuffle them into bed. Times when it seems there is more water on the bathroom floor than remains in the tub. Times when the shuffling process is well under way and I'm summoned back to the bathroom by the splash of one pajama-clad boy.

At least I can say, more often than not, I am able to stave off frustration long enough to snap a picture or two.

However, this post really isn't about any of that. It's about the days when my wits are collected about me and I'm able to just let them play. I have, very gratefully, had a number of those days lately.

Yesterday at breakfast, I told the boys that when we were done eating I needed to clean the house. Really. So, they could pick out a movie to watch in the basement while I put everything away and vacuumed upstairs. Then when I was all done, we could pile into the shower. Isn't that the greatest idea you've heard this morning?!? No?

Aaron was sold at the word bath. Even after letting him pick the movie in hopes that it would occupy his non-movie loving body just that much longer, he spent most of the cleaning process following me from room to room wondering why we weren't in the bath yet. Isaac indulged in his one movie of the day privilege before letting me know that he wasn't interested in taking a shower. Not even a shower-bath. He wanted a real bath.

I felt so nice in my freshly cleaned abode that it was a pleasure to indulge the mid-day bath time.

I even played around with my north-facing light (which, by the way, was perfect) and took several pictures of their play. First off, both boys were literally schrunched up around the faucet to catch the water as it came down. But to make the space even more limited, Aaron was precariously perched inside his toy boat. The toy boat that is just barely the size of his two little feet. I couldn't help, but smile.

After a bit, they spread out to continue their play. Sometimes they are whales and alligators, but this time it was hippopotami. Seeing as this is a completely less than private forum, I will refrain from sharing the cutest picture featuring their matching bare bottoms.


I chilled on our little bathroom stool while the boys splashed and played for a goodly space of time. Then, Aaron blessed me with one of those moments that only a parent can truly appreciate.


He informed me prior to the fact that he needed to go potty, thus saving the bath time experience from utter ruin. It was just one of those mothering days to treasure.

And really, who can't help but love that?

2 comments:

Jess said...

That is so darling. I guess the blessing of them loving baths is that they do become clean eventually. I can't believe Aaron is already aware of the toilet situation at his age. I wish I was closer so I could come over the supervise an hour of tub time and you could get other stuff done.

JWJohnsen said...

Jess, the whole gainful employment thing is way ovverrated...anytime you can come up we would love to have you. We'll even feed you.